Have you ever tried “GOOGLING” your name? If you haven’t then I suggest first you do that. (We waiting )
When you Google your name, you will realize the importance of your online reputation. Every day thousands of individuals are searching online for information about others simply by searching on Google or other leading search engines. With information being so readily available at your finger tips, managing your online reputation is more important than ever.
So now the question that arises: How do I Manage My Reputation Online?
Managing your reputation online requires a huge amount of effort. One needs to take precaution that negative information regarding you should not appear in the search hits.
Here are some tips:
1. Measure your current standing: Start your online reputation management initiative by Googling your name. Try the search with quotes and with out (first and last name together). Look through each of your results on Google. Check out for probable negative results regarding you which you wish to remove.
2. Set up a Google alert. Visit Google and set up an alert for your name. After setting up the alert Google will send you and email to confirm that you wish to receive the updates. Accept the alert and thus each time your name is published to the Web anywhere, you’ll get an alert about it. This helps you to track the additions happening in your name.
3. Contact website owners for name removal: If there are certain websites that include your name and commentary that is less than desirable, contact the appropriate websites requesting that the information be removed. More often than not, website owners will agree to remove your name and/or inappropriate information.
4. Purchase a domain with your name: Visit provider of website URLs and hosting, and purchase a domain that contains your name. Even if your name is rather common, experiment with variations until your name can be established in the form of a dot com. Once you own a domain, publish a webpage with your personal profile on it. This really helps in increasing your search engine hits.
5. Start a blog under your name / or write articles on Blog sites: Blogger or WordPress are great tools for setting up your own blog which can be used to publish information about yourself. Popular blog sites are often picked up by Google search engine and you can control the content that is being published there. Submit your blog for review and its popularity will increase. It also helps in improving search rankings and continuing to push down negative search results. I suggest you may start with writing articles on the SalamBC Business Blog.
6. Join Social Networking Website/Portals: Join a social networking portal like Orkut / Facebook or the newest fad named Twitter. If you are interested in Business networking then you have options like LinkedIn and Salam Busines Club of course.
7. Author articles in areas of your expertise: Publish article relative to a particular topic or area in which you’ve done some work or have experience. Distribute your articles online to build online references to your content. Make sure your articles contain an about the author section that provides a link to your main website.
There are a variety of strategies you can use to manage online references about you, your family, or others. Other online sites like MySpace, Flickr, YouTube, and Squidoo, SlideShare etc. offer ample opportunities to deliver favorable search results that can push unfavorable results down in search engine rankings.
Enjoy – Let us know if you need any help
This is the company blog of the Salam Business Club, the first worldwide Internet-based business network for the Arab, Asian and Muslim world, with members from over 180 countries.